Leo Bourassa Scholarship
Scholarship Sponsored by Virginia Lakes and Watershed Association
We established the Leo Bourassa Scholarship in 2001 to help further our mission and award annual scholarships to support deserving students who are studying in fields related to water resources. The scholarship is named in honor of Leo Bourassa, who was the founder of the Virginia Lakes and Watersheds Association.
The scholarship award funds will be presented in a check written to the college or university each recipient is currently attending and can only be applied towards tuition or fees. We typically award multiple scholarships annually ranging in value from $3,000 to $500 each.
The scholarship recipient will be selected on the basis of academic performance, contribution to the field of water resources, and related extracurricular activities. The Virginia Lakes and Watersheds Association scholarship committee members will evaluate the scholarship applications and provide a recommendation to the Virginia Lakes and Watersheds Board of Directors on the annual scholarships to be awarded.
The scholarship application is due is April 1st and the application form should be submitted electronically via the Virginia Lakes and Watershed Association website.
The following information will need to be provided with your application:
- Description of experiences you have had relative to water resources and watershed management including both salaried and volunteer experiences.
- List of clubs and organizations related to water resources of which you are a member including attendance or participation in any Virginia Lakes and Watersheds Association events.
- Explanation of why you feel you are deserving of this scholarship. Be sure to include academic experience, work experience, educational plans, and career objectives.
- Copy of current college transcripts; transcripts can be official or unofficial.
A minimum of two letters of recommendations from non-family members are required as part of the application process and applications without recommendation letters will not be considered. The person writing the letter of recommendation can mail the letter to the address below by the application deadline of April 1st.
The applicant must:
- Be a student in good standing at any Virginia accredited college or university and a resident of Virginia at the time of application and at the time of award; and
- Have successfully completed, or will complete by the award date, at least two semesters of undergraduate study; and
- Be a full-time undergraduate, full-time graduate student, or a part-time graduate student enrolled in a curriculum related to water resources including but not limited to: biology, conservation, ecology, engineering, environmental science, geology, hydrology, limnology, stormwater management, water quality, or wildlife studies. Other areas related to water resources may also qualify.