World of 7 BIllion Video Scholarship Contest
Scholarship Sponsored by World of 7 BIllion
Create a short video – up to 60 seconds – about human population growth that highlights one of the following global challenges: Promoting Environmental Justice, Strengthening Global Health, Re-Imagining Industrial Systems. All videos must include:
A) How population growth impacts the issue
B) At least one idea for a sustainable solution
Consider narrowing your focus by concentrating on a subtheme within your topic. Possible subthemes include:
A) Promoting Environmental Justice – Food deserts, climate migrants, placement of hazardous waste sites, effects of the fossil fuel industry, redlining, mistreatment of indigenous peoples and land, environmental racism
B) Strengthening Global Health – Access to health care, pandemics and emergency response, disease spread (zoonotic and vector-borne), maternal health, sanitation, health effects of environmental pollution
C) Re-Imagining Industrial Systems – Procurement of raw materials, waste management, brownfields/CAFOs, energy production, production/distribution of consumer goods, occupational health and safety
Rules and Guidelines
1) All entries must be a digital video.
2) Each entry must focus on ONE of following global challenges as it relates to population growth:
A) Promoting Environmental Justice
B) Strengthening Global Health
C) Re-Imagining Industrial Systems
3) Students may work together in groups or submit entries as individuals.
4) The length of the video should not exceed 60 seconds (one minute), not including the 5 second title screen (see #5).
5) All entries should begin with a 5 second full-screen "title screen" that includes the following information:
A) Lead Producer's name
B) School name
C) School city, state
D) Title of video
E) Total running time (not including the 5 second title screen)
6) All information presented in the video must be cited, giving credit to the original source. Plagiarism of any kind will result in disqualification. You DO NOT need to include your citations in your video. IF CHOSEN AS A FINALIST, you must submit a list of your sources, properly cited.
7) Each video must have one Lead Producer to serve as the main point of contact. Recognition and prizes will be given to the lead producer and all those listed as co-producers on the entry form.
8) There is no entry fee.
9) Entries may be submitted through the website starting on September 1, 2020. The deadline for submissions is 5:00 pm (eastern time, US) on Thursday, February 25, 2021. Winners will be announced no later than Tuesday, May 4, 2021.
10) All entries must be submitted in digital format.
11) No copyrighted materials (music, images, etc.) may be used for this contest unless you own the copyright or have a license to use the material for this contest. Written permission must be obtained and provided upon request for all copyrighted materials.
12) No professional assistance is allowed. Adults may assist with production but are limited to verbal guidance only. Adults are allowed to be actors or cameramen but not content contributors.
13) All portions of the online entry form must be completed when you upload your video for it to be eligible.
14) IF CHOSEN AS A FINALIST you must submit a signed/completed Parent Permission Form and a signed/completed Actor Release Form for each person appearing in your video. Forms can be scanned/emailed to: Worldof7Billion@populationconnection.org; faxed to 202-332-2302; or mailed to: World of 7 Billion contest, 2120 L Street NW #500, Washington, DC 20037.
15) Content must comply with all local and national laws of the country of origin and the United States. Content must not 1) promote illegal behavior; 2) support racial, religious, sexual or other invidious prejudice; 3) advocate sexual or violent exploitation; 4) violate rights established by law or agreement; 5) invade the privacy of any person; or 6) be otherwise inappropriate as determined by Population Connection in its sole and conclusive determination.
16) The judges' decision is final. Entries will be judged by topic, with winners in each of the three global challenge areas: Sustaining Water Systems, Ensuring Economic Opportunities, Improving Climate Resiliency. Decisions will be made based on the World of 7 Billion Judging Rubric.
17) The only compensation for submitting a video is the opportunity to be awarded a prize if the entry wins. Population Connection will pay filmmakers no additional compensation nor be liable to the filmmaker under any circumstances.
18) Students may submit as many videos entries as they wish. However, only 1 first place prize will be awarded per student/team, and no student/team may receive more than 2 awards total per contest cycle.
19) All entries must be submitted in English, if entries are not in English they must include English subtitles.