Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Fellowships
Scholarship Sponsored by Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Fellowship Program is a vital source of funding for the visual arts and art history in Virginia. VMFA is committed to supporting professional artists as well as art and art history students who demonstrate exceptional creative ability in their chosen discipline and, as such, has awarded nearly $6 million in Fellowships to Virginians.
The Fellowship Program was established in 1940 through a generous contribution made by the late John Lee Pratt of Fredericksburg. 2023 marks the 83rd anniversary! Offered through VMFA Statewide, Fellowships are still largely funded through the Pratt endowment, supplemented by the J. Warwick McClintick Jr. Scholarship Fund.
There is no application fee!
A complete application includes:
- Applicant’s basic Information (name, contact info, etc.)
- Transcript (Graduate or Undergraduate Fellowship applicants only)
- Work Samples (images/videos/research papers)
- Work Sample Form (title, date, dimensions, etc. of each submitted work)
- Artist Statement (200 words maximum)
Incomplete applications and applications not received by the deadline will not be considered. Please be sure to allow the appropriate amount of time—based on your upload speed—to upload all samples of your work well before the 5 pm deadline.
Paper applications will not be considered. Please contact the Fellowship Office if you need any assistance completing the online application.
- You must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, as well as a current legal resident of Virginia, and have been so for at least 24 consecutive months prior to the application deadline.
- You must continue to be a legal resident of Virginia for the Fellowship period of May 2024–May 2025. A legal resident has a valid Virginia driver’s license, and/or pays income taxes in Virginia, and/or is a registered Virginia voter. Applicants must be able to provide verification of residency upon request.
- You cannot be enrolled in a degree-seeking program at the time of the application deadline nor plan to be a degree-seeking student during the Fellowship period of May 2024–May 2025.
Professional Artists who are NOT ELIGIBLE include the following:
- Recipients of a VMFA Professional Fellowship in the last 5 years
- Recipients of three or more Fellowships in any category
- Full-time VMFA employees
- Undergraduate and Graduate students who will be enrolled full-time in a degree-seeking program during the academic year of Aug 2024–May 2025.